We had a fun Memorial Day weekend spending lots of time in the sun hiking, biking, and swimming!
On Saturday we went to the State Park called Government Canyon that's just 5 minutes from our house for the first time. On the way home Scott and I were talking about how many fun places are within minutes from our house. It's amazing, and we are so lucky. We could never get bored here.
While at Government Canyon, we purchased the Texas State Parks Pass! Although we love the outdoors, and we'll take anything we can get, we were a little disappointed when we browsed through our state park possibilities. We miss the pretty mountains, but we'll make do with what we've got. I got a little homesick after browsing the great outdoors possibilities, but then I heard it snowed on Memorial Day in Utah, and I didn't feel so bad anymore. :) I think I was meant to live in a hot place because I never did learn to embrace the snow and cold despite growing up with it my entire life. I have, however, learned to embrace the heat. I can handle 100 degrees WAY better than 0 degrees!
Family hiking picture with Boston's signature prop. We love getting him all worn out! We all went home and took naps after this.
He's such a cute little hiker.
It was a seriously hot day, but I don't think that warm water did much for cooling him down. It was worth a try though.
Memorial Day we woke up early and got ready for what turned out to be one of the best Memorial Days ever. We loaded up the bikes and headed to Zilker Park in Austin.
Look how gorgeous this park is! We LOVE Austin. We would live there if only it wasn't an hour and a half away from Scott's work.
It didn't take long for Zilker Park to climb the charts to one of my favorite places in the world. You should have seen all the runners, bikers, dog walkers, trees, trails, etc. I wish I could go there everyday. Now I know what I want to do whenever Scott has a day off work!
I was already in love, and then we saw this awesome park, one of the coolest playgrounds ever. It was icing on the cake. They had a huge firetruck, sea lions to sit on, and musical instruments to play.
Boston did really well in the bike seat, but he needed to get some energy out, so he was loving the park.
After our bike ride we headed to Hula Hut for lunch. Could this day get any better? I don't think so. It was awesome. Not only is the food here dang good, but the atmosphere tops it off. It kind of feels like a little Hawaiian getaway.
30 minutes is a long time to wait for a little guy with a 30 second attention span, but he did pretty well finding entertainment for himself!
Especially after he found the sand box.
Of course, he had fun getting as dirty as possible while we waited to be seated.
Hula Hut is definitely one of our favorite restaurants! It's almost worth the $35 to drive to Austin just to eat there, but biking at Zilker Park and eating at Hula Hut is definitely worth the $35 to drive to Austin!
Living in San Antonio with so many military families has definitely made us more aware of the reasons we celebrate holidays like this. It's more than just a day off work, and we are so grateful for the people who serve our country!
















2 comments:
Next time you should tell me, we would totally meet you there. we love to take the boys on bike rides, go hiking and of course eat good food. I am happy you found this place, I have been missing the "outdoor" activities. Not many of them in Houston. Jason has signed up for a work golfing tournament that will be held in San Antonio next weekend. He will be golfing all day on Friday, you busy???? I dont want to hand out at the hotel all day:)
We are in Dallas for the summer. I'm not sure if we are planning to come down to San Antonio while we are here, but if we do, we would love to see you guys!
Thanks for the advice-I'll make it through the summer and if we come back hopefully it is as positive for us as it has been for you. I love hearing about your family adventures!
Post a Comment