Thursday, February 26, 2009

Why I Love Running

I decided yesterday that it was time for me to get back into my regular routine of running. I want to do two half-marathons this summer and maybe a couple other smaller races. I'm pretty sure I don't want to train for any marathons this summer though. I did promise Scott that I wouldn't do another marathon until I beat my half-marathon time. Maybe I can actually keep that promise if by some miracle I beat my half-marathon time this summer. I did read that being pregnant can sometimes make you a better runner afterwards because of the increased blood and oxygen demands on your body while you are pregnant. I don't know how long this improvement takes, but based on my run yesterday I don't think this improvement will be here anytime soon. I'm starting out pretty slow and I think I was actually a better runner when I was 7 months pregnant than I am right now, but that's OK. It will be fun to slowly build back up and see the improvement.

My decision that it was time to start running again was also somewhat influenced by all the ice-cream I had eaten the day before. It's too bad that my sweet tooth had to come back almost as soon as Boston was born. It was so nice to not want sweets all the time when I was pregnant!

Scott was gone for a couple days doing some filming in Missouri for his brother-in-law's company CALO. He interviewed some of the people that go there and got some footage of the campus so he can make a video to put on their website. I got a little bored and lonely without him, so that is my excuse for eating too much ice-cream. Sunday night when I was driving home from visiting my family at my Aunt Karla's house it was a sad feeling to know that I was going home to an empty house and an empty bed. Nothing makes you realize how much you love and appreciate your husband more than having him gone. I'm glad he doesn't leave very often, but I'm also glad that he does leave sometimes (that sounds bad, let me explain). I think it strengthens our relationship to be apart. It makes us realize how much we appreciate having each other. I'm so thankful that Boston came three weeks early though so I could feel a lot more put together when Scott left. I think I would have had a meltdown if Scott left 11 days after he was born! It was definitely a blessing to have him come early and be healthy!

I guess I should talk about running now since that is the title of this post. I took Boston to Provo yesterday to try out our jogging stroller. I like running in Provo a lot more than Orem, so I usually drive down there and park at BYU when I want to run. Anyway, while I was running I was thinking about why I liked to run and decided I should write down all the reasons I like to run so I could go back and look at them when I am lacking in motivation and energy.

Here is what I came up with:

-I have never once gone on a run and regretted going.

-Running always puts me in a better mood (I love the runner's high).

-No matter how tired I am before I go running I always have more energy afterwards.

-I am more productive on the days that I go running

-I sleep better when I run

-Running makes me want to eat better.

-I made a lot of my best friends through running with them.

-Running relieves stress.

-I love to be outside and find new pretty places to run.

-Races are fun memories and a feeling of accomplishment.

-It's fun to continually work on trying to improve my times.

-It burns calories so I can get away with eating too much ice-cream every once in awhile.

-There's a million health reasons such as it's good for my heart, my cholesterol, my blood pressure, and it reduces the risk of a number of diseases such as diabetes, etc.

-Running is hard and I think it helps me do other hard things in life.

Don't you just want to go for a run right now?!

There might be a few more I'm forgetting, but I think those are all of the main reasons I love running. Now hopefully this will keep me motivated to get back on a regular running schedule. Having a baby is definitely going to require me to have more discipline and determination if I want to keep running, so I'm going to need this reminder. I can't just run out the door any time and go anywhere I want anymore. I have to schedule it around feedings, and I also have to pack up the jogging stroller and Boston and choose somewhere that is jogger-stroller friendly to run. Energy is sometimes hard to gather up when I wake up every few hours during the night for an hour or so, but that is why I reminded myself that running always gives me more energy no matter how tired I am before I go.

I haven't gone running yet today, so we'll see if this post can work it's magic on me now. By the way, I really want a running buddy right now! So if anyone that reads this also wants a running buddy and doesn't mind starting out slow or going with a jogging stroller let me know!!

5 comments:

Heidi F said...

Andi, you are wonderful. I can't believe the self-control and will power you have. And your blog was great. You almost persuaded me to want to run!! In fact, I would love to run with you, but I would really slow you down. Good luck in figuring out how to manage everything to get the running in. By the way, Boston's pictures are so cute. He is just adorable!!

JD and Alicia said...

you've totally inspired me! my family wants to run the disneyland half in august and i keep putting off training. any tips?

ryan said...

I want to go running with you!!! That would be awesome if we can figure out a time that works best for both of us, it is sometimes hard to work around nap schedules and such.

ryan said...

That last post was Nikki Souter by the way, not Ryan. Ryan is my husband. oops.

Matt and Heidi said...

I will run with you! the weather has been so nice and all i want to do is be outside! So if you you want to run really slow i will go with you! :) Call me! :) We live close enough to each other.