Pregnancy Memories
I am keeping this blog as a journal and I want to publish it at the end of each year. I want to be able to remember my experiences with my first pregnancy so I decided to write them down on my blog.
#1-Finding Out/Nausea- I felt nauseous for about two weeks before I took a pregnancy test. At first I didn't know why I felt crappy. I actually thought it was because I hated my job so bad that it made me sick. Kind of funny huh? Scott even asked me one night if i was OK because I seemed different lately. I told him that I just didn't feel good and that I got so bored at work that it made me feel sick. HA HA! That really makes me laugh now. I actually thought I could be bored sick.
Then one night about a week later Scott and I had planned to go on a date to a restaurant called Dickie's. It was a BBQ restaurant with all you could eat FREE TWIST CONES-two of my FAVORITE foods in one place! I had been looking forward to going to this restaurant all week. I remember feeling so crappy at work that day and not wanting to eat. When we got to the restaurant that night I couldn't believe that I wasn't even excited to eat there! The thought of eating made me feel more nauseous. I decided to try to eat anyway since I hadn't eaten very much all day and I had been wanting to try this restaurant for a long time. After I ate I actually felt BETTER! What kind of sickness is that!? Since when does food make me feel better when I have the flu? That is when it occurred to me that I might be pregnant because I knew that pregnant girls snacked all the time to help them not feel as nauseous.
We had a pregnancy test at home, but I wanted to wait until our 1 year anniversary that was coming up in a couple weeks before I took the test. I thought it would be such a cool present to wrap up the pregnancy test and give it to Scott on our 1 year anniversary! I told Scott that I thought I might be pregnant, but he had heard that from me MANY times before and didn't really believe me. I wanted to wait, but curiosity got the better of me as soon as we got home from the restaurant. Scott went outside to check something on the internet (we had free internet by the pool) and I went straight to the bathroom to take the test. I thought I was going to be annoyed with myself again for not waiting a couple more weeks, especially when the results started showing up and I didn't see two lines right away. But then my eyes got HUGE as I stared at the second line faintly showing up. I was SO EXCITED and SURPRISED, but I wasn't even sure if I really believed it yet.
I excitedly ran outside to show Scott the test. He just sat there for a second with a blank stare on his face and said, "Um, are you sure?" It was a confusing feeling because we were both really excited, but we didn't know if we really believed I was pregnant, so we didn't know how to react. I took another pregnancy test a couple days later and we believed it that time. We were both SO excited and happy. I remember going to the book store right after we found out and sitting in there for a couple hours looking through the name books. I immediately wanted to call everybody I knew and tell them I was pregnant, but Scott wanted to wait until we got back to Utah so we could tell our families in person. I agreed that it would be more fun to tell our families in person, so I promised to keep it a secret from everyone in Utah as long as I could at least tell my friend Amy in Texas.
The next morning Amy and I had signed up to run a half-marathon together, so I told her about one mile into the run that I was pregnant. That was as long as I could keep it in. She was so happy and excited for me. It was so fun to tell her and see her reaction. I love that girl. We tried to keep it a secret from everybody else in Texas, but it wasn't long before it felt like everyone in Texas knew I was pregnant. We decided anyone in Texas could know as long as it didn't get back to Utah. It was SO HARD to keep it a secret from my mom and sisters when I talked to them on the phone, but I stayed strong and I am SO PROUD of myself for keeping it in! It was worth waiting until we got back to Utah because now we have some fun stories of how we spread the news.
#2-Telling our parents- I was so anxious to tell my parents that I was pregnant that I made Scott add an extra hour to our LONG drive home from Texas so we could go straight to my parents house and spill the news. We had picked out a little baby jacket with a number three on it since it would be my parents third grand-baby, and we also had a picture of my first ultrasound that we wrapped up. When my parents got home from church we were already at their house waiting to give them their "souvenir" we got them in Texas. The first thing my dad did when he saw me was move the pillow I was holding just to make sure I wasn't pregnant, but I was about 12 or 13 weeks and didn't look pregnant at all yet. We gave my parents the present, but they didn't quite get it until they saw the ultrasound picture. It was really fun to see their reactions and it felt SO GOOD to finally let it out!
#1-Finding Out/Nausea- I felt nauseous for about two weeks before I took a pregnancy test. At first I didn't know why I felt crappy. I actually thought it was because I hated my job so bad that it made me sick. Kind of funny huh? Scott even asked me one night if i was OK because I seemed different lately. I told him that I just didn't feel good and that I got so bored at work that it made me feel sick. HA HA! That really makes me laugh now. I actually thought I could be bored sick.
Then one night about a week later Scott and I had planned to go on a date to a restaurant called Dickie's. It was a BBQ restaurant with all you could eat FREE TWIST CONES-two of my FAVORITE foods in one place! I had been looking forward to going to this restaurant all week. I remember feeling so crappy at work that day and not wanting to eat. When we got to the restaurant that night I couldn't believe that I wasn't even excited to eat there! The thought of eating made me feel more nauseous. I decided to try to eat anyway since I hadn't eaten very much all day and I had been wanting to try this restaurant for a long time. After I ate I actually felt BETTER! What kind of sickness is that!? Since when does food make me feel better when I have the flu? That is when it occurred to me that I might be pregnant because I knew that pregnant girls snacked all the time to help them not feel as nauseous.
We had a pregnancy test at home, but I wanted to wait until our 1 year anniversary that was coming up in a couple weeks before I took the test. I thought it would be such a cool present to wrap up the pregnancy test and give it to Scott on our 1 year anniversary! I told Scott that I thought I might be pregnant, but he had heard that from me MANY times before and didn't really believe me. I wanted to wait, but curiosity got the better of me as soon as we got home from the restaurant. Scott went outside to check something on the internet (we had free internet by the pool) and I went straight to the bathroom to take the test. I thought I was going to be annoyed with myself again for not waiting a couple more weeks, especially when the results started showing up and I didn't see two lines right away. But then my eyes got HUGE as I stared at the second line faintly showing up. I was SO EXCITED and SURPRISED, but I wasn't even sure if I really believed it yet.
I excitedly ran outside to show Scott the test. He just sat there for a second with a blank stare on his face and said, "Um, are you sure?" It was a confusing feeling because we were both really excited, but we didn't know if we really believed I was pregnant, so we didn't know how to react. I took another pregnancy test a couple days later and we believed it that time. We were both SO excited and happy. I remember going to the book store right after we found out and sitting in there for a couple hours looking through the name books. I immediately wanted to call everybody I knew and tell them I was pregnant, but Scott wanted to wait until we got back to Utah so we could tell our families in person. I agreed that it would be more fun to tell our families in person, so I promised to keep it a secret from everyone in Utah as long as I could at least tell my friend Amy in Texas.
The next morning Amy and I had signed up to run a half-marathon together, so I told her about one mile into the run that I was pregnant. That was as long as I could keep it in. She was so happy and excited for me. It was so fun to tell her and see her reaction. I love that girl. We tried to keep it a secret from everybody else in Texas, but it wasn't long before it felt like everyone in Texas knew I was pregnant. We decided anyone in Texas could know as long as it didn't get back to Utah. It was SO HARD to keep it a secret from my mom and sisters when I talked to them on the phone, but I stayed strong and I am SO PROUD of myself for keeping it in! It was worth waiting until we got back to Utah because now we have some fun stories of how we spread the news.
#2-Telling our parents- I was so anxious to tell my parents that I was pregnant that I made Scott add an extra hour to our LONG drive home from Texas so we could go straight to my parents house and spill the news. We had picked out a little baby jacket with a number three on it since it would be my parents third grand-baby, and we also had a picture of my first ultrasound that we wrapped up. When my parents got home from church we were already at their house waiting to give them their "souvenir" we got them in Texas. The first thing my dad did when he saw me was move the pillow I was holding just to make sure I wasn't pregnant, but I was about 12 or 13 weeks and didn't look pregnant at all yet. We gave my parents the present, but they didn't quite get it until they saw the ultrasound picture. It was really fun to see their reactions and it felt SO GOOD to finally let it out!
The funniest story is when we told Scott's dad. We were meeting Scott's parents for dinner at Mimi's Cafe and Scott and I got there before his parents, so we taped our ultrasound pictures in Barry's menu. When he opened his menu Scott and I were anxiously waiting to see his reaction, but he quickly closed his menu with a confused look on his face. Then he slowly opened it up again and said, "Is this somebody's some kind of sick joke?" We were completely not expecting THAT reaction! We laughed so hard when he said that! It was HILARIOUS!! He had no idea what it was, but Scott's mom leaned over and helped him out. He said he thought it was somebody's colonoscopy or something. That made us laugh even harder. That memory was definitely worth waiting for!
#3-Doctor's Visits. Scott thinks I'm a little weird because I LOVED going to the doctor. I admit it was a little weird that I started looking forward to my next doctor appointment a couple days after my last one. I just really liked knowing that the baby was doing well and hearing his heartbeat because I worried all the time about how the baby was doing. The absolute BEST doctor's appointment was when we found out we were having a BOY! It just made the pregnancy feel a million times more real, and then we could start deciding on a name and planning the nursery!
#4-Cravings- I'm pretty sure that I actually had a lot more cravings BEFORE I was pregnant. I can't really think of anything that I craved, and I never had to make Scott go to the grocery store and buy me something. For a little more than half my pregnancy food actually grossed me out most of the time and it felt like a chore to eat. Suddenly my favorite foods were not my favorite anymore. The best change about my appetite when I was pregnant was that I didn't like sweets as much! I used to live for anything sweet. I loved yoplait yogurt, granola bars, sweet rice cakes, twist cones etc. I had to have my sweet stuff especially after I ate a meal. I knew something was definitely different when Scott and I watched a movie together and I ate a cup of green beans while he ate his huge bowl of ice-cream. My green beans actually looked better to me than his ice-cream! I never thought that would happen in a million years!
#5-Personal Heater- Before I was pregnant I got cold REALLY easy, but while I was pregnant I liked to be cold. I remember putting ice on my feet in the evenings because my feet would get hot at night for some reason. Our heating bill was really low while I was pregnant because we almost never had the heater on. I also remember always sleeping with my feet outside the blankets at night because I wanted my feet to be cold.
#6-Dry Heaves- I was really lucky to have never thrown-up my entire pregnancy, but I did get the dry heaves sometimes. I actually got them almost every time I brushed my teeth. I don't know why, but I did. It was actually pretty funny.
#7-Running-I did 3 races while I was pregnant. The first one was a half-marathon in Texas the morning after I found out I was pregnant. I was about 9 weeks pregnant by then. I was a little worried to do it after I found out I was pregnant, but I was all signed up and ready to run it, so I just ran it at a comfortable pace and drank lots of water. It turned out to be really fun and I felt pretty good during the race. The next race was a 5k in Mesa Falls Idaho when I was about four months pregnant. The last race was a 4 mile turkey trot on Thanksgiving. I was about 7 months pregnant for that one. It actually went better than I thought it would. I was hoping to finish in under an hour and I finished in 41 minutes. That turkey trot was my last time running until Boston was born. After that I got a pass to the Orem Sports Center. I liked to do the elliptical while I watched A Baby Story on TLC.
#8-Baby Showers-I had a lot of fun at the four different baby showers that my friends and family threw for me. The first one was the first Saturday in December and was hosted by my mom and Kristen in Kaysville. January was busy with baby showers! I had a baby shower three Saturdays in a row in January! Scott's mom and sister Jill threw me a fun family baby shower the second Saturday in January. Then my friends Lindsey Thacker and Sarah Denny threw me a shower in Layton. The last shower was January 24th and was put on by my old roommates Erin Raynor, Maija-Liisa, and Kim. Boston was unexpectedly born four days before that shower! I felt good enough to still go and Boston stayed home with Scott.
#9- Getting Ready for Baby-I had a lot of fun doing all sorts of things to get as ready as possible for our baby to come. The first thing I did was de-junk our spare room so there would be room for a nursery in there. After it was all cleaned out Scott painted it. I was always trying to get the house cleaner and more organized every chance I got throughout my whole pregnancy. I thought the "nesting" instinct they say pregnant girls get came right before you had the baby, but mine came as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I was also always reading different pregnancy books and things online at Babycenter.com. Scott and I signed up for a prenatal class at the hospital on Monday nights in the month of January. We were glad that we could take that class together, but we were also really glad that our insurance paid for it because we didn't think it was worth paying $60 for. I loved shopping for baby stuff! Even when I knew I wasn't going to buy anything I always loved going in the baby stores and looking around. I loved the anticipation and excitement I always had when I would think about our baby finally being here. It was fun to wonder what he was going to look like and what kind of personality he would have.
#10-Hubby Time- Scott and I got to do some fun things together right before the baby came. We enjoyed our time together even more knowing that it was our last chance to do things together without either thinking about our kids or having them with us. We had a blast in Las Vegas for the BYU Bowl game. We got to relax in a nice hotel for a week and do whatever we wanted. We also got to go to a cabin for a couple days with Scott's family and just hang out. It was really nice. I remember Scott would read to me at night a lot because I usually didn't feel the best at nighttime. My whole pregnancy I felt better in the mornings than I did at night which I know is kind of opposite of most pregnant girls. Scott and I tried to read scriptures together every night and sometimes we would read another book together too, and Scott was so sweet to read to me when I wasn't feeling good so I could just lay there with my eyes closed. We also had fun just doing little things together like going to the movies, renting Red Box movies, going out to eat, playing games together, and shopping for baby stuff.
Overall I know I was really blessed with a really easy pregnancy. I don't think it could have gone better. I even got to skip the last hardest weeks of pregnancy because Boston decided to come three weeks early! How much luckier could I have gotten? Now I am blessed with a really cute and really good baby who makes Scott and I smile a million times a day! Scott and I love being parents and I really don't think there's anything better I would want to do with my time than be a mom.
5 comments:
That was really cute and fun to read. I'm still cracking up over my dad's reaction, that is hilarious!!!
Andrea, what an awesome post. That was so fun to read about all your thoughts and experiences through your pregnancy! Thanks for sharing. You are so cute. I'm so happy for you guys!
I love that you recored your pregnancy memories on here. I think I'm going to do that to. I know you'll look back on it and be so glad you have it.
That was so fun to read! I love it =)
What a wonderful record of your pregnancy. I enjoyed reading it and remembering all the parts that I was able to participate in. Especially Mimi's. I still laugh about that too. You were very blessed and I'm so glad. You deserve it!
Post a Comment