Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Bear Lake

We had such a good time last weekend with our friends at Bear Lake! It was the perfect little reunion before we move to San Antonio. We are squeezing as much family and friend time in as we can before we move because we love everyone here in Utah and will miss them a lot! Sherstin was so nice to take us up to her cabin! They have such a beautiful view of the lake right outside their front window!


Sherstin's and my friend Emily also came with her husband Colby, even though it was their one year anniversary! I have been friends with Emily since we were about 14 when we played on the same soccer team. We had a lot of good times together! I hadn't hung out with her for years, so it was fun to see her again!

Picture Explanation: Sherstin bought a 25 cent ring from the vending machines at the pizza place and gave it to Colby to give to Emily. It turned out to be pretty hilarious because Emily thought Colby was being genuine for a second when he gave her the green plastic ring in front of everyone. She turned all red and said. "Oh, Thank You." Then realized it was a joke and started laughing pretty hard.

Showing off her plastic bling. It even matched her shirt!


We ate at a yummy pizza restaurant, played horse shoes, Frisbee golf, card games, boggle, watched Brian Reagan dvd's, and saw the Jazz blow it. Sherstin and I also had fun running our last long run together before the Ogden marathon! It was such a pretty day, and it was nice to run in a new place. Her husband Trevor is also doing the marathon, but he was having bad shin splints, so he didn't do the run with us that day.




Poor little Boston burned his hand on the wood burning stove at the cabin. It was a 3rd degree burn down his pinky, and side of his palm. He had about 5 blisters. It breaks my heart every time I look at it. He tripped and fell while I was out on my run, so I wasn't even there to hug him and make him feel better after he did it. I cringe and feel pain in my stomach every time I think about it. I had a hard time falling asleep that night because I felt so sick over it. Since I became a mom I've experienced feeling pain for someone else on a level I didn't know existed before. I think I feel his pain more than he does sometimes. He's a tough little guy, and the doctor said his burn is not painful right now because the nerves are damaged. Even though I know he is not in pain, I still feel pain when I look at it because it looks painful, and I know it will be painful when it starts to heal. The thing that bugs me even more is that I've never been burned that bad, so I don't know what he's going through.



He's very resilient. I took this picture after a night of two baths in 6 hours due to throwing up and diarrhea blowouts, (as if being burned wasn't enough for him, he got a stomach bug as well)
and after we got home from the doctor where his blisters were cut off and bandaged up. It was hard to watch, even though the doctor assured me that it wasn't hurting him. He only cried a little bit because the doctor was holding him still and he didn't want to hold still.


I felt so bad for him yesterday. Here he is drinking his pedialyte with a sock over his burn. Although I was really sad for him, he seemed to be doing fine. He was all smiles and play, even right after he barfed. I put him in the tub and within seconds he was smiling and playing in the water. Kids are amazing.


We have to keep this sock over his bandage so he doesn't chew on it and try to take it off. I change the sock a couple times a day, and every time I take the sock off his bandage goes straight in his mouth.

I was really surprised how much he still used his hand with the sock over it! When I would sit him down to eat something I expected that he would pick the food up with his good hand, but instead he reaches towards the food with his sock hand like there's nothing different about that hand at all! He uses his sock hand just like normal. I think he's going to be an optimist. He won't let anything get in his way or slow him down!

4 comments:

Brittney said...

Oh my gosh - Emily! I miss her! She was SO funny! That's awesome you've kept in touch with her!

And how sad about Boston's hand! That makes me sad too. :( Hope he's okay! :)

Crystal said...

That looks like so fun! Good luck on your marathon this weekend! You'll do amazing - also congrats on your 5k for Cinco de Mayo! way to go!
Poor Boston! That's so sad about his hand! I totally agree with you about feeeling your child's pain- it's so heartbreaking!
Good luck with the move!

Kattie said...

Poor little guy, I usually wish it was me who was hurt and not them, its so sad. Good luck this weekend, I am doing the 1/2 and its my first and I am sooo slow so you will prob catch up and fly right past me, I hope you get the time you are wanting, I am just hoping to finish and not be picked up by the "loser" bus!

Heidi F said...

That is the prettiest picture of blue Bear Lake. Glad you had such fun, except for poor Boston. :(