Thursday, July 30, 2009

Any Suggestions?

Since Boston is 6 months old now I decided it was time to start feeding him some solid foods. I was going to wait a little longer, but since he's a little on the skinny side I decided it wouldn't hurt to try to bulk him up a bit. I was excited to feed him his first taste of rice cereal because I pictured him happily gobbling it up. I thought he would LOVE it. He has never had a problem eating anything before. He even surprised the nurses when he gobbled up some nasty medicine. The nurse said that babies usually cry when they give them that stuff because it tastes so bad, but Boston never had a problem taking any medicine we gave him.

But....

apparently rice cereal tastes worse than nasty medicine.
I was really surprised that he didn't like it, but I can't really blame him because I tried a tiny bit myself and it really is gross.

Facial expressions say a thousand words...
What is this nasty stuff!?

Why are you doing this to me mom?!
(This face makes me feel like an evil person for trying to feed him that gross stuff. Look how sad and helpless he looks!)

I'm going to puke.

He did forgive me though. That's what is so great about kids. One minute you're their enemy, and the next minute you're their best friend again.
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions so I can get Boston to react like this when I feed him rice cereal?

Is this a normal reaction for babies their first time trying rice cereal? Does it just mean that he's not quite ready for solids yet? The box said to mix the cereal with water, formula, or breast milk. I don't have breast milk on hand very often because I hardly ever pump, but does it make a huge difference if you use breast milk instead? (I used water this time.) Should I just wait a month and try again? If you have any suggestions please comment :) Thanks!

8 comments:

Josh said...

Jack did the same thing, but I've read that until they learn how to swallow solid food, they will push it out with their tongue. He should catch on soon. You can also try mixing a little bit of baby food (like peaches or pears) with the cereal. My doctor also said I could mix a little bit of juice in with it to make it sweeter. You don't need much though. If you do try juice, I would do the baby juice that's in the baby food aisle. They can't have citrus so I would try apple juice. Good luck! It's so fun to watch them learn, and even more fun when they get the hang of it.

Christina said...

I used breastmilk up until just a few weeks ago. He is so accostumed to that taste so when it's really milky he really won't taste the rice cereal. I gradually made it thicker. They also aren't really used to anything with a little bit of texture so i realized that that was why Jackson would usually make faces. If you can try pumping just a little bit for it. When he first started I only needed less than an ounce. That may help. He'll get used to it though. Hang in there.

Jennica and Preston said...

My little one didn't mind it, but definitely made some funny faces and was unsure about it until she got used to it. I've known many babies that don't really like it. I would say just stick with it and I've heard juice works good! I also have a nephew that hated the cereal and never ate it but loved all other baby foods. Good luck!! BTW, those pictures are sad but so cute!!

Ashley Garbe Smith said...

We started out by mixing it with formula and making it really thin so it was barely a thicker consistency than formula. Once he got used to that, we would just use less formula. Then, we started mixing it with water and adding just a little bit of pear juice (the doctor recommended this) and he liked that a lot. Now, he'll eat it even when it's just mixed with water or any of his veggies or fruit. Good luck!

Rachel said...

Mady doesnt have any problem. we started giving her solid foods before we gave her the cereal. She love everything. I agree with others, itll help when you add a bit of juice. Maybe you could try to feed him a 1st baby food(gerbers) if he still doesnt like cereal.

Thompson Family said...

These are all great suggestions but you could also try the oatmeal. My son wouldn't touch the rice but loved the oatmeal.

Heidi F said...

Cutest pictures ever! What fun times trying to teach Boston to eat> it will take a while for him to get used to the taste and the texture> just try a little tiny bit at a time, as has been mentioned. You can experiment mixing the cereal with juice and fruit as he gets used to using his tongue and how to swallow food. The temperature also makes a difference. A little warm is better than cold. Good luck with this new adventure!

Jaylynn said...

cute pics! I say the same as the others- what I did was mix it with apple juice.