Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My New Hobby

Now that I stay home with Boston I need some new hobbies to keep me busy. I'm used to having work and homework all the time and it feels a little weird sometimes that I don't have certain things that I have to do everyday. Running doesn't even feel like a hobby anymore because I have done it for so long, and it is now just as much a part of my day as eating and sleeping.

I found out about a free 2 week photoshop class through a blog and I signed up for it. I was so happy that I found out about that free class because I almost payed $70 to take a photoshop class at UVU. There are a bunch of community education classes at UVU and Scott said it would be fun if I took one of the photoshop classes there, but right as I was about to sign up for it I couldn't bring myself to spend $70 on it. I told Scott I would rather spend the money on two more half-marathons this summer, and he said that was fine with him. So I happily signed up for the Provo Canyon half-marathon, and then found out about this awesome free photoshop class a few weeks later. Photoshop has become my addiction this past week! It's so fun, and the class is awesome! I keep staying up way too late because I can't stop playing around with pictures.

If anyone else is interested in photoshop check out jessicasprague.com. She has a bunch of classes that you can sign up for including digi scrapbooking, photography, and I think a few other things. I'm definitely going to sign up for more classes when I'm done with this one. She makes it really simple and easy to learn everything with short video tutorials.

I get an email from her every day with a new lesson and a new project to make. Here is some of the stuff I have been learning:

My favorite thing I have learned so far is how to make pictures look old fashioned. I think it looks awesome! The first three before and after pictures are examples of the old fashioned look.

Before
After

Before
After
Before

After
We also learned how to texture pictures and use text on them. Here is an example of that:

Before

After
Here are a few more examples of things we have learned like making pictures look vintage, framing pictures, adding a grunge edge to pictures, using word art, stamps, more texturing, etc.

Before
After
Before

After
Before

AfterBefore
After
The next two are just the after pictures of framing, stamping, and text.



Before
After
(this one is another of my favorites)

This was my very first project. (vintage, framing, and word art)

This picture has a grunge edge around it by putting a clipping mask over it

Before
After
(vintage)

Sorry for the picture overload. That was just one week of classes though. I'm sure I'll be doing another picture overload again next week sometime with the new things we go over.

What is your favorite look? (vintage, old fashioned, word art, framing, grungy edges, textured pictures, etc.)

11 comments:

Shaylee said...

I like the vintage and the texture pictures. I am so taking this class...I just don't have the time right now. Hopefully she will still offer it in a few months!

Heidi F said...

So is the class on line or do you take it from her in person? I really want to learn too. Your pictures are fantastic. I like the textured, vintage, words, etc.

Matt and Mal said...

That is so cool! I love the vintage and texture ones :) Makes me want to take a class!

shauna said...

Great pictures Andrea! Thanks for the link. I love the vintage look.

Jill said...

So are you taking these classes on-line?? I have GOT TO LEARN this stuff. It's awesome. I love it all!!!!!!! It's so cool!!! The last pic is my all time fav. It's fabulous. I would totally blow that up to an 11x14 and plaster it on my wall! You're awesome!

Scott Fitz said...

Yes, it's all online. She receives an email about the lesson and a video to show her how to do it each day.

She's getting pretty good at it and is obviously having a lot of fun. There are seriously thousands of good Photoshop tutorials online.

If you don't want to splurge on photoshop, there are a lot of tutorials for photoshop elements as well. You can buy photoshop elements and premiere elements (video editing software) right now together at costco for $70 after rebate. They're regularly $130.

Kate said...

Those are awesome Andrea! I like vintage, word art and texturing; they are all cool though! Fun stuff, I think I'll look into these online classes. Thanks for posting.

Troy and Mandy said...

Those look really good! I like the vintage and textured ones best.

Unknown said...

Andrea that's exciting that you're running the Provo River Half marathon too! Those photos are awesome, maybe sometime I'll try it out.

Kim said...

SWEET Andrea! Those are DANG awesome. I love the vintage, texture, grunge edge, all of it!!! VERY COOL. I can't wait to see what you learn next week! PS How long does it take you to do it each day?

Shalamar said...

Your pictures look amazing! I love photo shop to! I'm also learning techniques from jessicaspraque. It's a great site! Boston is growing so fast! What a sweet heart.