These are some of the perks to his football filming job that we are sad to say good-bye to:
1. Going to the bowl game for free! It was so fun staying in a nice hotel for a week, getting free food, and getting a stipend that we usually spent on shopping at the outlets. Scott has been to the past four bowl games, and I have gone to three of those with him. We had a blast at all of them!
The first bowl game I went to didn't have as many perks as the next two because we were not married yet, so I just went up with my dad and sister for the weekend. When I got there poor Scott was sick and throwing up the whole night. That's what happens when you don't eat anything put peanut m&m's all day and then wolf down a huge burrito at 10:00 pm. I remember just hanging out in his hotel room after the game watching a movie while he would take frequent trips to the bathroom to throw-up. I still had fun though because at least I got to see him! You know how it is when you are dating someone and you haven't seen them for more than 24 hours. You know it's true love when driving all the way to Vegas to spend a few hours with your boyfriend is worth it, even when he spends the night throwing up. I didn't really care that we got free tickets to the bowl game, I really just wanted to see Scott. I even slept on the floor because it was a last minute trip and there was only one bed in our hotel room which my dad and sister slept in. Now I look back and I am really grossed out that I slept on the floor, but hey I got to see Scott and I hadn't seen him for like 4 days!
Besides the bowl game, Scott also got to go to one other away game with the team. They charter flights out of the Provo airport, so it is a lot of fun.
2. Free tuition and books! This coming year of school will be the first time either of us have ever had to pay tuition for college! Scott's football job paid his tuition all four years he has worked there, and I was on academic scholarship while I was there. Too bad our first year of paying tuition has to be graduate tuition for the Marriot School which is even more than regular graduate tuition, but we aren't really complaining because we are pretty dang lucky to have had that many years at BYU without ever paying tuition!
3. Free food! The month of August was the best because that was when they had summer camp and they got two cooked meals a day. I worked right by BYU, so I would take a lunch break and share Scott's lunch with him, and then he would get a take-home box and share his dinner with me. I didn't have to cook for a whole month!! I loved it! We didn't even really have to go grocery shopping except for milk and cereal. They also got money on their BYU id card for food, and dinner before and after football games.
4. Free clothes and shoes! Scott hasn't had to buy a pair of shoes for four years, except for basketball shoes. The huge football palyer sweats make the best pj's for the winter too!
5. Hanging out with Scott while he's working! I loved how laid back it was in the video room while Scott was working! I would hang out in there all the time, so even though he was at work it didn't feel like it because I could go see him whenever I wanted to. Then after Boston was born I would bring him to the video room so I could go running without the stroller. Now when Scott is at work I can't hang out with him, and I can't just drop Boston off whenever I want either.
6. Scott had fun at work while getting all these perks! He became good friends with the other guys on the video crew, and he got to watch all the football games from the sidelines after eating TUCANO'S in the press box every home game! I even got to watch one football game from the sidelines with him. It was AWESOME! I almost got plowed over by some HUGE football players. They look so much bigger on the sidelines! Those guys are gigantic! Normally I would sit in the stands with one of the two free season tickets he would get each year.
This football season I might actually get to go to some football games with Scott! I have never sat in the stands and watched a BYU football game with Scott, except for half of each bowl game. It will also be nice to be able to go camping and do more fun things together on the weekends because Scott won't be at the football games ALL day. He usually had to be there two hours before the game and he stayed one to two hours after the game, so he was really gone all day on a lot of Saturdays.
3 comments:
Oh man, I'm sad thinking about it too! What an awesome post reliving the football years. That was a huge blessing for you guys (and us! Ü) Thanks to Jason Sargent, BYU and the Cougar Football team. We need to buy tickets for next year! Are you going to get some season passes? Maybe we could all sit together at a game! FUN STUFF!
Wow, you guys really will miss a lot of perks. I guess Orange Soda outweighs it though...what a fun opportinuty he has had with BYU. Great memories. Good luck with your futures!!
By the way, those were incredible pictures!!
Post a Comment