Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Rejected/Running Rambles

Before you waste your time reading this post I thought I'd let you know it's kind of boring, especially if you could care less about running. It is just a journal post about running for me to look back on.

My name didn't get drawn to run this year's St. George Marathon. Boo hoo for me, I know.

I'm actually a lot more disappointed than I thought I would be. I have already been training and running a lot. I am going to be there for the marathon anyways because Scott and I are going to stay with his parents in their time-share and watch his brother-in-law run the marathon. He got rejected the past two years, so he was guaranteed to get in this year. I got in the first time I registered to run it, so I think I just thought I would for sure get in again. It will be so weird just standing on the sidelines watching everyone finish! I have never just watched a marathon before! I'm not sure if I will be thankful that I'm not in as much pain as all the runners, or jealous that I don't get to feel the awesome sense of accomplishment that they will all feel when they cross the finish line. It will probably be both, but more of the second one.

I'm pretty sure that I want to run the St. George Marathon a MILLION TIMES more JUST because I got rejected. Funny how that works huh? As soon as someone tells you that you can't have something you suddenly WANT IT THAT MUCH MORE! I wasn't even sure if I wanted to do the race when I signed up, but now that I am told that I CAN'T do the race I am DYING to do it!!

I really want to run a marathon this year, but St. George is the only one I really wanted to do. Now I can't decide if I should find another marathon to do, or just do a couple half-marathons. I have a strange addiction to races. It's so weird. I ALWAYS have to be training for a race. Even when I was pregnant I was training for a race, except it was a four mile turkey trot instead of a marathon.

I don't think I have ever NOT been training for a race since I ran my first marathon in September 2005! Man, I just had to go look at the medal from that marathon and see what year it had on it because I forgot what year I did my first marathon! I can't believe it has been four years!! Since running my first marathon I have done four more full marathons, and I think eight half-marathons. I am going to lose track of them if I don't write them down!

The Marathons


1. Top of Utah (Sept. 2005)
2. Top of Utah (Sept. 2006)
3. St. George (Oct. 2007)
4. Boston (Apr. 2008)
5. Ogden (May 2008)


The Half-Marathons

1. Moab (March 2006)
2. Kaysville (May 2006)
3. Provo Canyon (Aug. 2006)
4. St. George (Jan. 2007)
5. Syracuse (May 2007)
6. Spanish Fork (Sept. 2007)
7. Provo City (Apr. 2008)
8. Carrabbas - San Antonio (June 2008)


Races I want to do in the future

There are so many awesome races that I would LOVE to do, but they are on Sunday!! Utah is pretty much the only place that has marathons on Saturdays. There are a few exceptions though. Like the BOSTON marathon is always on Patriots Day which is always the third MONDAY in April. That marathon is #1 on my list. I can't wait to do it again someday!! It was one of the COOLEST experiences ever even though I was sick as a dog during the race. I can't even imagine how awesome it would be if I WASN'T sick!!

I also want to do one of the DISNEY races. I know the Disney half-marathon is on a Saturday because the full marathon is the next day on Sunday.

Some other places that have marathons/half-marathons that I would LOVE to do are HAWAII, LONDON, NEW YORK, California (Nike Women's Marathon-you get a necklace from Tiffany's!), a ROCK 'N ROLL Marathon (they have them all over), and I also think it would be cool to do every marathon in Utah at least once. Those are just a few that I think would be really awesome to do. I'm sure I will learn of more and more that I would love to do. I never expected to become completely addicted to marathons. I just wanted to do ONE and call it good, but now I'm hooked for life. I know it's pretty unlikely that I will actually get to run ALL of these races, but hopefully I will get to do at least SOME of them someday!

If you are a runner and you did read this post all the way to this point for some reason, then what races do you want to do someday? Any suggestions on what race I can do this year since I got REJECTED :(



3 comments:

Heidi F said...

Sorry about not getting in for St. George! The Mesa Falls (Idaho) race at the end of August is a small fun one you could consider. Brandon has run it so you could talk to him about it. Its beautiful up there and its a well run race for such a small community.

I think its amazing what you have already run. Way to go!

JD and Alicia said...

want to come run the rock n roll one in san antonio? that would be so fun! i gotta get through the disneyland one first...

Jaylynn said...

I hope you decide to do the St. George now that you have an in! You're an amazing runner and I'm sure you'll be running races until you're in your sixties so you'll get to fit them all in!