Thursday, April 23, 2009

My New Talent

I attribute my new found talent to Boston. If it weren't for him I never would have discovered how many things I can do with one hand!

I was getting ready yesterday for a Relief Society meeting and Boston just wanted me to hold him and carry him all over the house with me. If I put him down he would get mad and cry. I had to get ready, so I decided to see if I could do my make-up and put earrings on with one hand, and I could! I was pretty surprised and proud of myself. As I was finishing getting ready I started to think about what else I had learned to do with one hand, and there were quite a few things!

Here are a few examples:

1. Number one would be blogging! I think about 90% of the blog posts I have done since Boston was born were with one hand. I spend a big majority of my day feeding Boston and it would get really boring if I didn't entertain myself at least some of that time. I just put the laptop on the couch next to me and hold Boston with one arm (with some help from a Boppy pillow), and then I can update my blog! That's also why I have been updating my blog about three times as often as I used to. I have gotten really good at typing with one hand!

2. Vacuum. Just a couple days ago I vacuumed the whole house with one arm while holding Boston in the other. It was a good workout! I even vacuumed under the couch cushions with the hose!

3. Make dinner. Not all dinners, but some, or at least part of the dinner.

4. Eat dinner, or any other meal. We usually just eat our meals at the same time, except that he eats about 6-8 meals a day and I eat 3.

5. Laundry, unloading/loading the dishwasher, and a lot of other random chores around the house.

6. I have also started finding random things to entertain myself with on the computer because looking at facebook and blogs can get OLD. Some of the things I found were photoshop and piano flashcards. I want to learn how to play the hymns, but I'm really bad at reading bass clef notes, so sometimes I go through flashcards online while I'm feeding Boston.

I'm sure there's more that I'm just not thinking of at the moment. Now I just need to figure out how to do my hair with one arm and I'm set.

Anybody else have random things they started doing with one hand after they had a baby?

3 comments:

phil, whitney, and kate said...

i was the same way! wait til he gets to be 20 pounds and doing things one handed. whew, thats a workout! i have also gotten really good at holding like 20 things. oh the useless skills you acquire as a mom.

Heidi F said...

Loved your one handed post. You are SO talented! You've learned how to do a ton more things than I ever did.

Jill said...

That is hilarious. Cute post, I love it. I'll have to think back to those days walking around with the babe in arms...I remember putting him in my belly sling and walking with him so I could have TWO HANDS because one hand was hard!!