Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Classic

If you read this post, look at the post right below too if you haven't already

I did the Memorial Day Classic Half Marathon on Monday! I felt GREAT for about the first nine miles, pretty GOOD from about miles 9-11.5, and like CRAP from about miles 11.5-13.1 (that's when I got a really painful side-ache and all I could do to keep myself running was to think about all the contestants on the Biggest Loser who finished their half marathons. :) I love that show!). I wanted to finish in under two hours and I finished in 1:53. I was happy with that time, but it was also a reminder of how long I still have to go to beat my PR of 1:35! I seriously can't believe that I could once run that fast.

I have a funny little story....I bet everyone has fallen asleep at some point in their lives saying their night -time prayers right? But you probably also woke up a few seconds or minutes later too right? Well Scott and I got home last night after a long, but FUN Memorial Day. I had only gotten maybe 5 hours of sleep because I got up at five to feed Boston and go to the race. I felt like I had just barely fallen asleep when my alarm went off. Don't you hate that?

I tried to take a nap after the race, but couldn't really fall asleep due to the adrenaline and endorphins I had running through my brain still, even though I really was tired. After the race we visited both of our families and had a lunch BBQ with my family, and a dinner BBQ with Scott's family. When we got home that night and I was saying my night-time prayers I knelt down by the couch and fell asleep KNEELING with my head resting on my arms for at least an HOUR, maybe longer! I was so confused and out of it when I finally did wake up. I didn't know where I was, or what time it was, my arms were all tingly because they had fallen asleep from me leaning on them, our house was pitch dark, and Scott had fallen asleep waiting for me in our bed. I just remember stumbling into our bed and falling back asleep. I know I woke up twice to feed Boston later that night, but I can barely remember that either. This morning I said, "Scott I think I fell asleep for a really long time out by the couch when I was saying my prayers last night." Then Scott said, "Ya I thought you were out there for a long time."

Here are a few pictures from the race:


Before the race

The beginning of the race. I definitely did not have that smile on my face as I was crossing the finish line. I still have a side-ache today! It was a bad one.

And now for the cute pictures. Here is my Big Blue-eyed Baby Boston.

He did so good during the race!

This one really makes me smile. What a cutie!

Now I need to start training for the St. George Marathon. Towards the end of the half marathon I was thinking to myslef "This is HARD! Do I really want to run a race TWICE as long as this in a few months?" I almost decided no, but I have a weird addiction to long painful races, so then I decided that I would do it. I told myself that although the marathon would be twice as long, it would not be twice as painful because I will be in better shape by then, and I will run the marathon at a slower pace than I ran the half. I'm excited (I think)!

If you read this post, look at the post right below too if you haven't already

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm seriously impressed!

Good luck training for the St. George Marathon! That's awesome.

Chelsea said...

Congrats on your race! It motivates me to do better. I think I'm trying to run the Bryce half marathon in July and will run the Logan half in August. I didn't certify for the job I have no, I was just lucky and was hired without any experience when we moved to Sandy almost a year ago. It is definitely not what I thought I would ever be doing after I graduated from college, but it pays the bills!

Heidi F said...

You did awesome at the race, Andrea! Sorry about your sideache. I hope it goes away soon. Why do those last several days? Funny story about your prayers. You were one tired girl!

Jill said...

You're amazing. I wish I had your stamina. And that is funny you fell asleep saying your prayers. I haven't ever done that yet!