I took Boston with me to the haircut place. Bad mistake.
It started out OK, Boston even gave the stylist a cute smile, but it ended FRAZZLED and RED FACED. Boston wanted me to hold him while she was cutting my hair, which was totally fine with me. He was happy on my lap being bounced on my knee, so I decided I could just give him a bath when we got home to get all of my little hairs off of him. I told the stylist that when she was ready to cut my bangs I would put him back in his car seat. I did put him back for about one minute because that's when my poor baby LOST IT. I am STILL feeling so bad about it. He was literally screaming his head off, and nothing I did would calm him down. I was doing everything I could think of all while the poor stylist was trying to cut my hair.
Everyone in the salon was looking at me like "Geez can't you make your baby stop crying, it's getting REALLY ANNOYING to us?" I felt bad for all the people in the salon who had listened to him screaming for the past ten minutes, but I felt even worse for my poor screaming baby that I wanted to help so bad, but I couldn't. Finally, in the middle of the stylist blow-drying my hair I said, "I'm sorry, do you have an appointment right after this?" Can I stand up with him and see if i can calm him down?" She didn't have an appointment right after me, and she was very sweet and said sure.
I took him outside with my hair half dry and the haircut cape thing still on and cuddled him and tried to calm him down. He did calm down a little bit, but couldn't stay relaxed for very long. I could tell he was past the point of needing a nap, therefore it was almost impossible to get him to relax and fall asleep. I know all the moms that read this will know what I mean by that. I missed his "magic moment" to get him to sleep. The only thing that will calm him down when he gets to this point is me feeding him. He won't fall for a binky at this point. That will just make him even more mad! If I try to put a binky in his mouth he knows exactly what it is and screams evern louder. So, as embarassed as I was, I had to go back in to the salon with my screaming baby again while everyone looked at me again, and ask to use their bathroom so I could feed Boston to get him to fall asleep.
Iwent in the bathroom still wearing my stupid cape and realized there was no where to set Boston while I took my shirt off, so I SAT ON THE BATHROOM FLOOR and put my legs straight out so I could lay Boston on them while I frantically took my shirt off because he was still screaming, but now it was ECHOING really loud because I was in the bathroom! Once he was eating he immediatley calmed down even though I knew he wasn't hungry because I fed him RIGHT before I left. That is the only thing that will get him to stop crying when he is that tired! I sat in the bathroom feeding him for what felt like a whole hour, feeling so bad for the stylist that was just hanging out waiting for me out there, and feeling so bad for poor Boston who was so tired! He is too old now to just sleep anywhere I take him like he used to. I realize that now. He used to just sleep in his car seat when he was tired no matter what, but now he needs it quiet and peaceful.
I think I got Boston to fall asleep at least five times in the bathroom, but when I tried to leave he would wake up and cry again. Very frustrating. I wished so bad that I had a nice comfy blanket to lay him on right after he fell asleep, but nope, all I had were my legs and the stone cold bathroom counter. It was really hard to keep him asleep while I tried to fanagle my shirt back on with one hand, or set him down on mmy legs. It just wasn't working, and I kept thinking about the stylist waiting for me.
FINALLY I decided since I had that big stupid cape on I would just let Boston have his favorite binky (me), and keep him there while I finished my haircut. I don't know why I didn't think of that before!!!! DUH!!!! I did actually think of it once or twice as I was unsuccessfully trying to leave the bathroom for the third or fourth time, but I was a little embarassed to walk out there like that for some reason. Especially since I had already drawn quite a bit of attention to myself! I realized that was the only way I was going to get out of this salon without a half-finished haircut, so I got over it and walked out of the bathroom with Boston under my cape. It worked! Then I was mad at myself for not doing that sooner!! Gosh! I'm trying not to feel too bad, but I do feel really bad still, mostly just for Boston. I don't really care too much that a bunch of people I don't know had to hear him scream, and I'm pretty sure the stylist understood and probably even felt worse for me than I did for her. It was by far my worst mom moment ever, but hey, I learned from it, and that's what crappy experiences are for right?
When I have a crappy experience I always ask myself what I can learn from it. Today I learned:
1. DON'T MESS WITH BOSTON'S NAPS
2. DON'T TAKE A BABY WITH YOU TO GET YOUR HAIRCUT
3. IF YOU TAKE A BABY WITH YOU TO GET YOUR HAIRCUT, USE THE STUPID CAPE TO FEED HIM!
4. FEEDING A CRYING BABY WORKS LIKE A CHARM EVERYTIME, EVEN IF THEY ARE JUST TIRED AND NOT HUNGRY
TWO HOURS later my hair was finally cut! I kept apologizing to the stylist, and she was very nice and understanding the whole time. I wished I was rich so I could have given her an even better tip! She deserved a $20 tip.
Anyway, here's the dang haircut. Not a very good picture, but maybe I'll have Scott take a better one later. I look way different, but that was the idea. It's fun to have a change, so I like it for now.
6 comments:
Oh my gosh, sorry for laughing but that is hilarious! So stressful too though. Ugh. You are brave to have taken him with you I don't think I would have ever been brave enough to try that. Anyways...glad everyone is alive and okay and you have a fun new hair-do. It looks great!!!!!!!! Super cute. I love change too. Most people can't go wrong with bangs, good choice!
Oh man that sounds crazy and stressful! Good job for getting through it :) And by the way your hair looks so cute!
Andrea, that is such a funny story to read. I'm sure you weren't laughing at the time (probably crying), but it is so funny to hear your side of things. That is definitely a story to remember. Your 2 hour haircut looks darling!!
Oh man, congrats on surviving that! You definitely had more guts than I would have. It's true, life changes when they're out of that "newborn" phase and they won't just sleep anywhere! You look great and I wish I could see it in person! Keep in touch this summer and see you in August!
Oh Andrea, I can totally relate to this story!! Those situations are so stressful, I'm glad you survived it. Your haircut looks way cute. I love the family picture at the top of your blog too!
That sounds terrible! At least you got a great haircut out of it...it looks great!
Post a Comment