Sunday, August 21, 2011

We Love Visitors (Part 2: Beetle in My Hair Dance, and The Alamo)

You know how husbands tend to tease their wives about unnecessarily freaking out over bugs and spiders? Well, Scott didn't say one word about the "beetle in my hair dance" I did last Saturday at the pool. Apparently, if the beetle's the size of a golf ball, you get to do whatever you want and not get made fun of. In fact, I even sensed a bit of sympathy from Scott after he pulled the black beast beetle from my hair. I wasn't thinking clearly since I was a bit traumatized, but if I remember correctly, I even got a hug afterwards. So, here's the story...


This is what it looked like. You might think I'm mean for making you look at that ugly thing, but just be glad it didn't clamp it's nasty claws to your head. Saturday morning we all headed over to a neighborhood pool and I decided to practice swimming a little bit. I went over to the big pool while Scott, Boston, Matt, and Kristen were still hanging out in the kiddie area. As I'm peacefully swimming along, I suddenly feel something clamp on to my head. It sort of felt like one of those hair claws being clipped to my head. I wondered what it was, so I reached up to touch my hair. Dun, dun, dun. I think you already know that what I felt wasn't a hair claw. 

I immediately screamed and started to panic. I was in the bigger pool all by myself, although there were some people I didn't know lounging around the outside of the pool. I didn't want to freak those people out too much and make them think they needed to call 911, so I tried to collect my cool as best as I could. That's not easy when there's a beetle the size of a golf ball in your hair though. I screamed over to Kristen that I thought there was a cockroach in my hair (I didn't know what it was, just that it was the most disgusting thing that's ever been in my hair.) I guess I wasn't thinking straight because I actually asked Kristen if she would get it out for me. Of course that was a no. I told her to hurry and get Scott as I carefully climbed out of the pool feeling like any sudden movements would make the beetle blow up or something. Kristen later told me I looked like I was about to cry as I walked over to the fence and waited for Scott to make the longest 50 meter walk in history. I stood there dancing like a spaz, providing free entertainment to everyone at the pool as I waited for Scott to rescue me. I could still feel phantom claws attached to my head for quite some time after Scott chucked the beetle half way across town. I'll never be the same again, but one good thing did come out of this. Now whenever I see the biggest, ugliest bug I've ever seen, it won't be quite so traumatic just seeing it. I'll always look at it and be glad it's not in my hair. 


The first picture is a googled image. I must admit it did cross my mind for a split second to have Scott take a picture of the actual beetle in my hair, but I quickly decided that I couldn't even wait two extra seconds for him to grab the camera. I just wanted it out, and fast. We found this dead beetle by the side of the pool, but it's legs were curled underneath, so I had to use the google image to give you the full effect of it's claws. :) 

Moving on to happier things...


I eventually recovered and got back in the water. We had recently watched the movie Soul Surfer. It's about a girl who gets her arm bit off by a shark. I figured if she could get back in the water after that, I could get back in the pool. 


This is a cute picture, I just hope it was worth the black and blue leg Kristen got after a little incidence of slipping and sliding down the stairs of the whale when they tried to climb off the head. I know it sounds like we had some bad luck at the pool this day, but the rest of the time was a blast.

I'll let the pictures do the talking.
























After the pool, Little Caesars, and showers, we went downtown to see the Alamo.


Not the best picture, but it's all we got of the group. My awkward arm and Boston's grumpy face make me laugh. 







Nothing like fro-yo on the Riverwalk to top off the night! 

I thought I would get Kristen's and Matt's visit posted in three posts, but expect at least two more coming soon. We packed a lot in the week they were here! 

3 comments:

Jill said...

You are the best story teller EVER. You are freaking hilarious. I can't stop laughing. And gagging. That beetle was SICK!!!!!!!!!!!

Megan Barrick said...

Gross, gross, gross! One more reason Texas is not my favorite- huge ugly bugs! You are brave!

Michelle said...

That is SO gross! Oh, you totally deserved to do any type of dance with that thing in your hair. Yuck!