I talked to her! (See yesterday's post if confused.) Her name is Kate, and she has two kids ages 2 and 6 (so I guess I was exaggerating a bit when I said her son was 10. I'm terrible at guessing kids ages!). Her husband is in the Navy, so she's basically a single mom right now since he's been out of the state since June. That would be very hard to not see your husband for months and months at a time. I hate it when Scott gets home later than usual for the day. Sheesh, I'm a baby.
Actually, I can't take all the credit for finally getting to talk to her because she was the one that started the conversation while I was still searching my brain to find a conversation starter and some guts to actually say something. I can't believe we've never said one word to each other after months and months of running at the same place and time almost everyday, and then the day after I post about wanting to talk to her I FINALLY get to talk to her! She must have been able to sense my wanting to talk to her, or did she read my blog last night?? I wonder if it was because I sped up until I caught up to her and then slowed down so my pace was matching her pace. Hmmmm. Maybe that was it.
I had fun talking to her and running with her for a couple miles. Although, I'm not sure that she had as much fun as I did. She now takes her little toddler to the daycare to escape exactly what I was dealing with today. Boston was being particularly difficult today, and I was seriously ready to quit my run. He was throwing EVERYTHING today! However, it was worth it because that is exactly what got us talking. She smiled at me because she knew EXACTLY what I was going through, and said, "He really doesn't want you to run today huh?" That was it, the ice was broken, and I jumped at the chance to talk to her while I finished my run. She ended up stopping to pick up Boston's binki twice while we were talking and running, so I'm not sure if we'll end up being running buddies. She takes her baby to the daycare so she doesn't have to stop and pick up shoes and binkis and such, so I doubt she would want to run with me and have to deal with all that again. Even if we don't run together, I'm glad that I finally got to meet her, and she's suddenly not so intimidating anymore either. I've learned that almost any person that seems intimidating on the outside becomes just a normal nice person once you talk to them a few times. I've had quite a few experiences like that actually.
Well Kate, thanks for breaking the ice for me and talking to me because I was too wussy. It made my day. And I think we could be good buddies, so maybe on Boston's good days we can run together. If not, then at least I can finally smile and say hi to you when you run by because I'm not scared of you anymore! Besides that, it feels good to finally have a name and a story behind the teeny tiny mom that I've been watching and wondering about for months!
1 comment:
Andrea, you are SO CUTE! I love to read your blogs. And way to go! I think most of us are scared to talk to "strangers". You are giving us all courage! Luv ya.
Post a Comment