Scott and I were officially ENGAGED!
To celebrate I think I am going to do a long post of our dating and engagement story because I don't know if I have ever written it down.
The first encounter: We first met through our friend Reily Probst. Scott had met Reily the summer before at the bank where she worked. He was a courier for the Tanner Clinic and he would frequently make deposits at the bank, and one day he asked the cute bank teller Reily on a date! When school started again they went their separate ways to Utah State and BYU. The next summer I moved home from BYU and hung out with Reily quite a bit. Scott and his friends were having a Cinco De Mayo party and they invited Reily and she brought me with her. I met Scott that night as well as a lot of his friends. After the Cinco De Mayo party was over a small group of people went to Scott's house to hang out in his basement and talk for awhile.
For the next month and a half Reily and I had fun hanging out with different groups of guys from the Layton crew that Scott also knew and hung out with. Sometimes Scott would come and sometimes he wouldn't. We also went to singles ward activities a lot. Reily and I would invite them to my singles ward activities and Scott and his friends would invite us to their singles ward activities. I remember at one of Scott's singles ward activities Reily asked me what was up with me and Scott because I seemed to be hanging around him and talking to him a lot more than other people. I didn't know I was, so I said nothing. I never even considered dating Scott since he dated Reily the summer before, but Reily told me a couple times that she and Scott were just friends and that she really didn't care if I liked him. I still thought it would be weird so I just kept thinking of Scott as my buddy that was kind of CUTE.
First Date: One day after we had been hanging out off an on for a little over a month Scott and I were talking on the phone to see what we were going to do that night. We both called our friends and no one could do anything, so Scott asked me if I would still want to do something with just him. I guess he had been planning on asking me on a date for awhile, but I had no idea. He asked if I wanted to go miniature golfing at Cherry Hill and I said sure. To him we were going on our first date, but to me we were just hanging out alone because none of our other friends could come. I had TONS of fun with Scott that night. I thought he was fun to be around and easy to talk to. After golfing we went to his house to watch a movie. He was a little surprised when I sat on the OTHER COUCH instead of next to him! Ha ha! I think that's hilarious now! I was still trying to keep my distance because I thought we were just hanging out as friends and I didn't want him to think I thought it was anything more. After that night though I finally started wondering if maybe I did want to date this CUTE buddy of mine.
I remember when he confirmed that wonder into a yes with a couple of ADORABLE text messages he sent me in the next couple of weeks. I hadn't heard from him for a couple days after our date that I didn't know was a date and I got a text that said something like, "I'll pay for this text as long as it makes you smile. I hope I see you tonight." (He said he would pay for it because he knew I was out of texts for the month). Anyway, I thought it was cute because that was the first time that I realized he might be interested in me. We had been seeing each other every day since that text and one day we didn't get to hang out and I got another cute text that night that made me SURE I wanted to date Scott. I wish I could remember what it said though! I just remember it saying something like he didn't want to go to bed until he knew that I smiled that day! Who wouldn't want to be around someone that wants to make you smile everyday!? I was whooped.
Dating: To make a really long story short, we dated pretty much EVERYDAY for the next 8 months and then he told me he loved me! (Finally! ha ha) He was a slow mover, but so was I so it worked out perfectly. For example, one time he was dropping me off from a group date after we had been dating for about three weeks, and when he got back in the car his friend asked why he didn't kiss me and Scott said, "well that was the first time she's actually given me a real hug." I guess the others were just side hugs. I know three weeks doesn't seem like that long, but since it was the summer we hung out A LOT everyday.
ENGAGED: When he told me he loved me on Valentine's Day he gave me an aquamarine ring. Then he told me if it was the wrong size we could take it in and get it resized and see what OTHER RINGS I might like! That is when we started talking about getting married. Scott drove home one Sunday to ask my dad's permission to marry me while I was at church, so I had no idea that he had done that. We had planned to go to Park City one Saturday night to exchange some clothes at the outlets. I forgot to say in our dating story that Park City was where we first held hands and I guess officially started dating. Scott had bought a diamond without me knowing and just put it on a plain band so I could pick out the band I wanted later. He was planning to take me on the same walk around Park City that we had gone on the night we first held hands and then propose. We had to skip the walk though because I had a hurt knee and I was on crutches. We went to a cute little restaurant called Bistros after we had gone to a couple outlet stores.
After dinner we walked over to a cute little bench to cuddle and talk. I sat on Scott's lap because I was cold so I noticed his pockets felt kind of full. I put my hand on his pocket (right over the ring box) and said, "you always have so much stuff in your pockets!" After that I quickly moved my hand and my mind started racing 90 miles an hour-Was that a ring box!? Is he proposing!? No he can't be. He hasn't asked my dad yet, and I haven't picked out a ring yet. Well he was proposing and he did a good job of hiding it from me! I thought I would totally be able to catch on the night he was going to propose, but I didn't catch on until about one minute before he did! I don't remember everything he said because my mind was a blur once I realized he was actually proposing, but I do remember he said he wanted to ask me for my hand in the place where we first held hands! Then I said YES! So there's the story of how Scott and I became Mr. and Mrs. Fitzgerald!
I wish we took pictures the night he proposed, but we didn't, so here are some of our engagement pictures instead.









Scott made this picture for me in photo shop and gave it to me on our wedding day. This is the bench where Scott proposed.
3 comments:
That is the cutest story ever! I love all your journaling posts, it is helping me get to know you better. I am SO glad Scott picked you and that you said YES to him. :) You are the cutest, sweetest, coolest sister-in-law ever! And I know you are an awesome mom now too. I am SO glad you are a part of our family now. I love you!
What a cute story! I loved reading it! I have to say the text messages were really sweet!
I have never heard parts of your story..Loved it!
Post a Comment