Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pumpkins and Parties


This past Thursday morning Scott and I told Boston we would carve a pumpkin with him when Scott got home from work. He was SO excited all day. It was all he could talk about. 


After Scott cut the lid off, he told Boston to stick his hand in and pull the guts out. Boston looked at Scott like he was crazy and said, "That's gross Dad." After a little more prompting from Scott, Boston stuck his hand in and thought it was pretty cool that we were letting him get messy. 


The highlight of Boston's first pumpkin carving night was lighting his Batman pumpkin up. He read about jack-o-lanterns in one of his Halloween books from the library, and he kept asking me all day if we could light his pumpkin up. He was pretty happy when we finally lit his pumpkin. 


We didn't have time to carve both pumpkins on Thursday night, so we finished the second one on Friday while watching Hocus Pocus. We also had fun eating the roasted pumpkin seeds from the previous night's pumpkin carving. 



I decided to do an owl face this year, and I'm happy it actually ended up looking like an owl. I always look forward to our pumpkin carving/ Hocus Pocus night every Halloween, and it was fun to do it with Boston this year! (The previous years we've put him to bed beforehand.) 



The next day we went to our ward Trunk-or-Treat party for a chili cook-off, games, and trunk-or-treating. (Turns out 10-year-old prom dresses come in handy for Halloween costumes!) 


I bought this cute Prince Charming costume for Boston about two years ago on clearance at Cracker Barrel. I was so excited that it was the perfect size for him this year, and I was glad that I was able to convince him to wear it. He's really into superheros right now, so he's been talking about being Spiderman and Batman all month. We told him that he would get to dress up three times, and he could be Batman the next night. He didn't seem to mind, as long as he got to fill his pumpkin bucket with candy. :) He also liked being able to say that he was the boss of Daddy for the night. 


There was some fun music going on all night and Boston spent a good chunk of the time dancing away. 



Watching Boston do the donut on a string game was hilarious. When they said go, he just shoved the entire donut in his mouth (using his hands), and looked pretty satisfied with himself, like he had won. Then he got right back in line to play again, and he tried to get back in line a third time, but I had to cut him off at two donuts. 


Boston had fun getting his face painted like a puppy. 


He was a pretty cute puppy-prince. After the face painting, it was time for trunk-or-treating, what Boston has been waiting for all month. He ran around to all the cars at least five times, and now he has enough candy to last him until next year. (And he's going to get more. Yikes.) I told Scott that I'm stealing some for his stocking stuffers this Christmas. 



We had quite the busy Halloween weekend! After church today we went over to our friends house for a Halloween dinner, and costumes were mandatory. Every Halloween, our friend makes a really yummy casserole that's cooked inside a pumpkin. I should have taken a picture of it! 


Everyone was supposed to bring something Halloweeny for the dinner. There was a cool veggie tray shaped like a skeleton. 


We brought some owl pumpkin cupcakes, thanks to pinterest for the idea.  


There was also some yummy frog-eye salad, finger breadsticks, cauldron root-beer, and caramel apples.






The kids had fun playing outside. Boston has a lot of girl friends in this group, but as you can see, he enjoys playing the "bad guy" while the girls act scared.  

It was a fun Halloween weekend! We even got a cold front which made it feel even more festive. The temperatures were between 40's-60's. It always nice to not be sweating in your Halloween costumes. 

After all that, I can't believe Halloween hasn't even happened yet!

3 comments:

Reeve family said...

There are so many fun Halloween things for the kids! I liked Boston's pumpkin he carved. We recorded Hocus Pocus too and have been watching it a lot this past month. It's Ky's new favorite Halloween movie.

Heidi F said...

It was fun to "see" all the fun things you are doing and your darling costumes. Boston has got to be loving all of it. Thanks for the ideas for dinner. I am doing food for Wed. night so will borrow some of your ideas. Happy Halloween!!!

Kim said...

Sooooo cute! You guys always have the best costumed! And you even doubled up this year--wow! I looooooooved Boston as the prince. That is the cutest thing I have ever seen! What a fun Dinner too! Loved your owl cupcakes!