Sunday, December 11, 2011

Entertaining Boston

Forget expensive toys for Christmas. This kid is 100% happy with a paper plate tied to a string, and an old paper towel roll. 



We played this little game at library time for toddlers a few weeks ago and to say Boston loved it would be an understatement. We played it for at least an hour. I couldn't get him to try any of the other activities at the library that day because he was glued to this game. If another kid came up to play he would give them the paper towel roll and get back in line. We did that until all the other kids had left the library, and the librarian was cleaning up for the next group of kids to come. She waited to clean up this paper plate game until the very end so Boston could keep smacking that plate to his heart's content for just a little longer. Finally, we had to pry Boston away and go home. 


The librarian was nice enough to lend us some string so we could make our own version of the game at home. 


It kept us busy the other night while we waited for Scott to get home from work. Boston is developing some awesome hand-eye coordination. This game also helped him learn to count past 10 because we would count the number of times he hit the plate. I'd never heard him say numbers past 10 until we played this game. 



The other game that will get Boston's undying attention for hours is blowing bubbles.



He loves to catch them, try to eat them, punch them, and blow them himself. He's also really good at bending over to catch a bubble while spilling all the bubbles in his hand. You can probably get an idea of what that looks likes from his stance in this picture. He's spilled the bubbles multiple times. Then he likes to rub his bare feet all over the sticky bubble mess on the cement. Boston's pretty much bored to death with the toys he has, but after playing with a paper plate and dish soap for over two hours, I'm realizing it's not usually toys that make the best entertainment for kids. The simple things in life make the best entertainment.


We also discovered another free form of entertainment for Boston a few Saturdays ago. Home Depot does a free project for kids the first Saturday of every month. (Lowes does one every Saturday, but you have to sign up, and they were full.) I think Scott's going to start taking Boston to these on Saturdays because he loved it. 


I hope they make this guy time a tradition because it was heaven to take my un-interrupted sweet time in the shower and getting ready while listening to Christmas music in peace and quiet. Then I made myself a nice lunch and sat there eating and soaking up the silence. I didn't have to give bites, and I didn't have to get up five times to get milk or juice or anything else. Ahh. I can't wait until the next guy's morning out. 


Scott took a bunch of pictures on iphone, so they're a little blurry, but I thought they were all so adorable that I posted them all. Enjoy the rest of the pictures! 












He was so proud to show me his snowman when he got home. It was adorable. 

2 comments:

Reeve family said...

Good ideas to keep Boston entertained! I have always wanted to take Ky to the Saturday morning crafts at Lowes or Home Depot. Looks like fun!

Crystal said...

LOVE this post! Thanks for the ideas to help keep Matthew entertained - he's bored of his toys too! Also totally didn't know about the Saturday morning crafts - definitely checking those out - Boston just looked so Proud! I love it! And that just sounds like bliss to have a quiet morning :)