I didn't feel left out at all when all the elf on the shelf hype started a couple years ago. I was just grateful Boston had never heard of it, so he didn't even know he was missing out on anything. I had a feeling that Kindergarten would be our first year doing elf on the shelf, and I was right. He heard all about the elf excitement from his school buddies, and his Kindergarten class even had their own classroom elf!
Boston really wanted an elf, so I called Santa up one day on the secret Santa phone number that only adults have, and I asked him to send Boston an elf.
As soon as I saw how Boston's face lit up when his elf arrived, I knew the extra effort it would take to have this elf would be worth it. It was definitely inconvenient some nights, but it turned out to be so fun!
Boston named his elf Zane, and he was the highlight of Boston's day every day until Christmas. He couldn't wait to go find his elf every morning, and he treated his elf like a best friend. He wrote him little notes, and drew him pictures. It was adorable. This note says, "Dear Zane, I think you're cool. I hope we can be best buddies. Love, Boston." That's the correct interpretation. It really said, "Dear Zane, I thik yuor cool i hep we ka be best bde." I love when kids first start spelling things on their own. :)
I thought the picture Boston drew of Zane was adorable. Zane liked to leave little notes for Boston asking him to do nice things for other people like sharing a treat with his neighbors, playing with his brother, and picking up things that weren't his.
Zane only moved at night while Boston was sleeping, so each morning Boston liked to go see what Zane was up to during the night. He wasn't allowed to touch Zane or he would lose his powers.
One night Zane decorated Boston's bathroom with snowflakes and left him a little snow globe. Boston loved it, especially the snow globe.
Here's another adorable picture Boston drew for Zane. You have to look closely. It's a reindeer, Santa's sleigh, Zane, and Santa. Zane liked it so much that he hung it up in Boston's bathroom with the snowflakes.
The elf didn't always leave snow globes and notes though. Sometimes he just did a little exercising. One day he was so tired he didn't even move! Oops. Luckily Boston didn't think too much of it though.
One morning Zane left a note asking Boston to watch a Christmas movie with him after church. Boston thought that was awesome!
He sat as close to his elf as possible without touching him, and he made sure his elf had a good view of the movie at all times. He chose the movie Elf, thinking his elf would like that. When he moved off the couch to lay by Scott on the floor, he scooted Zane's chair next to him on the floor. He wanted to make sure his elf wasn't sitting by himself. :)
Christmas Eve Zane left a goodbye note and some little gifts outside Boston's door.
On Christmas day, Zane allowed Boston to touch him since we was leaving that night.
When Boston woke up the day after Christmas, Zane had gone back to the North Pole. Boston was pretty sad when his elf left, but he'll be back next year! This was a fun little tradition we started. I was hesitant to commit to all the maintenance of having an elf, but it's worth it to see how happy it makes the kids. Kids make Christmas so much better!















No comments:
Post a Comment