Friday, February 22, 2013

First House Projects

My dad enjoys doing home projects and has always had some sort of project going on ever since I can remember, so we made him feel right at home while he was here visiting. :) Thanks for your help dad! He and Scott were able to do a couple small home projects together while he was here.
I already mentioned that they spent a day hanging our TV on the wall and adding an outlet behind it so there wouldn't be any cords hanging down. 


They also hung two cabinets that were left in our garage. I guess there were some extra cabinets, and the builder said he could either haul them away for us, or leave them in our garage for us to use. We were more than happy to use them! We hung one in our laundry room, and one in our planning center. You can tell which one we hung because it doesn't have the crown molding. Maybe we'll add some molding to it someday when our to-do list gets a little shorter. I didn't take a picture of the laundry room cabinet, but I'm hoping to paint the laundry room sometime in the near future, so I'll just take some pictures then. 


My dad added a second dead bolt to our front door one day while Scott was at work. We used to have childproof knobs covering our door handles, but the door handles in our house don't work with our childproof knobs. I didn't want Boston answering the door without me there, so I feel so much better knowing that he won't be able to now. 


Another project they worked on was the mudroom. It needed a shelf and a place to hang coats. 


Actually, my mom and I helped with this project too. We went shopping for the baskets. :) 


Our builder left some wood and scraps in our garage, which came in handy for our mudroom project. My dad and Scott measured and painted the wood and molding that was already in the garage, and made a shelf out of it. 

'

Now we have a place to put our shoes, and hang our coats, purses, and backpacks. We still need to do some touch-up paint and caulking, but I love having this little mudroom area! 


My parents gave Scott this awesome garage shelf for his birthday while they were here, so we put this up as well. I'm just waiting for a Saturday when Scott isn't working or camping with the scouts so we can organize all his tools and garage stuff on these shelves. Wahoo, I bet he's just as excited to do that as I am. Ha ha. I don't think we've had a Saturday to get stuff done around the house since we moved in. I had high hopes for tomorrow, but Scott found out this afternoon that he'll be going into work. Again. His work has been insane lately with a big project that they've been working on. Scott's been working a lot of extra hours lately. The other night he never even came home. He worked straight through the night, and didn't get home until after lunch the next day. I have no idea how he was able to function that long. All I know is I can't wait for this project to be over, and I know Scott's even more anxious for it to be over. I think it's almost over though, and then we can finally go on our Valentine's date! We'll see. Better late than never. I'll probably look back on this one day when Scott's even busier at work and laugh at myself for thinking he's busy now. 



 I'll do another post soon about Scott's parents coming to visit, but while they were here, Scott and his dad hung a couple more shelves in the garage. 


They also used the leftover wood from the builders to make a shelf for some of our camping things and suitcases. 


We had some wire shelves that used to be hanging in our laundry closet in our apartment, so Scott and his dad hung those right outside the garage door for shoes. 

It's fun to do little projects around the house when you know it's your own. Thanks Dads for helping us while you were here! We're looking forward to many more house projects. 

No comments: