Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Boston's First 5K

USAA puts on a Veteran's Day 5K every year, and this year Boston got to participate! Of all the 5K's I've done, this one may have been my favorite. It was so fun to run with Boston and see the determination on his face. Plus he looked adorably hard core wearing sweat bands and my ipod. 


Boston loves to run, and he was very excited for the race. In the car on the way there he kept saying, "Batman fast, to the rescue!" His Batman shirt was making him feel mighty and fast. Then he was telling everyone that he was going to run fast and win. We told him to see if he could run fast and win Mommy and Daddy (just in case he really thought he'd be the first one. ha ha.).


I was curious to see how long he would last, and he ended up doing a mile and a half before he asked to get in the stroller. He was sick with a cough, so I think he could have lasted a little longer on another day. We were pretty impressed! The race was really crowded at the beginning, but Boston just took off weaving in and out of all the people and ducking under their arms. I was trying my best to keep up with him so I wouldn't lose him in the crowd, but it wasn't as easy for me to weave and duck. I somehow managed to not lose him though. It was fun to hear people's reactions when they saw Boson run bye, saying things like, "Look at that little dude go."


Once we were within a quarter mile of the finish line, we made Boston get out and run the rest. He really didn't want to at first because he was so worn out, but when he saw how close the finish line was, he decided to do it. He had the biggest smile on his face as everyone cheered for "Batman" while he ran through the finish line. 

We loved seeing how proud he was of himself for doing something hard. 

1 comment:

Kim said...

That is awesome, what a great experience for him!