Thursday, January 29, 2009
Under the Lights
Two days after we took Boston home we had to take him back to the doctor to test his billirubin level and we found out it was in the high risk zone so the doctor ordered at- home phototherapy treatment to treat his jaundice. It was so sad because he had to stay in there 24 hours a day and the only time we could take him out was to feed him. The first time we tried to put the glasses on him and put him in the little suitcase looking thing he screamed his little head off. That was the first time I had really heard him cry. Before that it was just cute little cries, but this was the first time I really heard him cry. It was so sad and it made me cry too because I really didn't want to put him in there. That meant I couldn't cuddle with him anymore and have him sleep in his bassinet by my bed. He was under the lights from Saturday until Tuesday. We had to take him to the doctor everyday to test his billirubin level and finally on Tuesday for his one week birthday the doctor told us it was low enough that we could take him out. We were so excited to finally get to hold him again, especially Scott because I had plenty of holding time while I was feeding him every two hours, but the only thing Scott had gotten to do was change his diapers.
The phototherapy treatment is supposed to help them poop a lot to get rid of the extra billirubin, and it definitely worked! We can't believe how many diapers we went through while he was doing the phototherapy. We changed at least one and a lot of the time two diapers every two hours. This was the routine: I would take him out to feed him and Scott would change his diaper and then play with him and make him do jumping jacks and all sorts of things to wake him up to eat because the jaundice made him really sleepy. Then I would feed him and he would usually be trying to go to the bathroom while I was feeding him and I would laugh at his funny faces and noises, then we would burp him, change him again, and put him back under the lights for two more hours until we did the routine again.
Here is his happy dad on his one week birthday finally getting to cuddle with him and watch the Jazz game with him because he didn't need the phototherapy anymore!
Scott is such a cute dad and so willing to help. He has changed way more diapers than I have. I'm usually about to fall asleep by the time I'm done feeding him so Scott usually burps him and changes him.
He looks so precious sleeping on his side all cuddled up on his hands. We can't stop taking pictures of this cute little guy.
Our little snowboarder dude. He eventually got used to the glasses and phototherapy bed. He is a very mellow and sweet baby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Thank you for posting more pictures! You can post a million times a day and I won't get sick of it. Boston is so stinkin' cute!!!! That was interesting to see his bed of lights and everything. That picture of him as a pretzel is adorable. So fun.
Loved all the pictures. I want to come see him in real life again! I'll call you. xoxoxox
Wow, that would be hard to not be able to cuddle him all the time. I'm glad his jaundice is gone though.You guys are doing so great. Scott is such a sweet daddy for changing so many diapers!
Oh so cute!! LOVE the pictures and updates. Keep it up, you guys rock. I love to see it all too (like Kim said)!! He's so adorable. I'm glad he's out of phototherapy, that stuff sucks. The babies at the hospital were always hard to take care of under the lights too because they were so fussy. He needs touch, so I'm sure he is in heaven now with his mom and dad cuddling him!
Yeah! I'm glad he is done with the lights and that you get to cuddle with him again. He is such a cutie! I like his "I'm stuffed" face, too funny. Zak would call it "the drunken milk slumber."
He is seriously SO cute!! I'm glad that he's doing good. There's nothin better then cuddling and loving your baby.
Post a Comment