Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Day We Found Out

I'm still waiting for the second trimester relief from nausea, but it may be sticking around for awhile since I'm 15 weeks and no luck yet. It's OK though, I decided I could be sick for 9 months if it means I get a baby at the end of it. I already have Boson to remind me that it's worth it. The sickness has gotten less intense and more manageable, but it's still there several times a day. I feel like I have the flu minus the throwing up because I'm lucky enough not to be throwing up. Looking at the computer for more than a few minutes makes the nausea worse, but I decided it's time to start getting caught up on the blog anyway.

May 22nd I woke up early and took a pregnancy test. 


This is what I saw. First I was completely shocked, then I was completely relieved, then I was scared as I felt my hopes going through the roof. I tried to put up my guard as I sat there telling myself the test malfunctioned or something. Since the second blue line was a little uneven looking, I told myself the test was broken and that I wasn't allowed to believe it until after I took another test. Scott was just outside the bathroom door getting ready for work. My heart was pounding and I just sat there staring at the test in shock. My first instinct was to burst the door open and jump up and down and show Scott the test wasn't negative. Then I remembered all those months that I had something cute planned in my head about how I was going to surprise him. That thought kept me from jumping through the door. I finally had my chance to surprise him. I walked out of the bathroom with a stone cold, emotionless look on my face. (I know, pretty impressive huh? That's how bad I had been wanting to surprise him.) Scott knew I was going to take a test that day, but when he saw the look on my face, he didn't even ask. He just went about his normal routine, said his morning prayers with me, and left for work. 


Later that day I went to the store and bought another test. This time I believed it. I felt like I was going to explode with excitement. I couldn't believe it finally happened. I didn't have anyone to tell, except Boston who was at the store with me, so I told him. He had already been telling people for quite awhile that I had a baby in my belly, so I wasn't worried about telling him. If he told people, we would just say the same thing we always said, "Well, that's what we're hoping for huh?" 


Then Boston and I went to Party City next door and picked out some balloons for Scott. Boston picked the Zebra one. He loves animals right now. We also bought some mini Baby Ruths and tied them to the bottom of the balloons. Getting to talk to the girl helping me at Party City about how excited we were to be expecting a baby kept me from exploding until Scott got home from work. 


When we got home I quickly made this sign for Scott. I can't remember what we had going on that day between the morning when I took the test and this, but we only had about 30 minutes to put something together before Scott would be home from work. 


I wanted to find Boston a cute big brother shirt, but we didn't have time, so we improvised. An undershirt with permanent marker on it worked just fine. 


We set this up and got the camera out so we could record Scott walking in the door from work. This would be the first thing he saw when he opened the door. 


Then I sent Scott this text about making a doctor appointment because I knew he would think it was a doctor's appointment for the fertility clinic to do a procedure we had decided to do. I really had made a doctor's appointment for Friday at 10:30, but it was with my regular OB for a new pregnancy. I was going to surprise him really good just like I wanted. :) 



Sure enough he thought I meant the fertility clinic because this was his response. Now I just had to wait for him to walk in the door. Longest wait ever. 


I took a couple more pictures of Boston to keep us occupied. I was so excited that I was all shaky and jittery by this point.  


We finally heard the garage open. Yay! He was here. I turned the camera on and hid behind the counter, so excited to see the surprised look on his face. Then nothing happened. The door didn't open. I swear we heard the garage door open. We waited and waited and waited. I turned the camera off and on a few times. Where was he? I didn't want to miss it, but I couldn't leave the camera on forever. I couldn't open the garage door to check otherwise that would ruin everything. He always comes in right after the garage door opens, but of course today was the one day he didn't. He had been listening to a conference talk on the way home from work, so when he pulled into the garage he stayed in his car for a few minutes to finish the talk. 


But he finally walked in and we got it on camera. :)  



He seemed a little bewildered at first. Can't really blame him. Then he seemed so relieved, happy, and grateful.


May 22nd was definitely a happy, roller coaster of emotions day in our house. We are so grateful to be adding to our family and we can't wait to meet the little piece of heaven. :) 

8 comments:

Heidi F said...

AHHH, we are SO thrilled for you! What a fun way to surprise Scott. I don't know how you held it in all day. Celebration!

Reeve family said...

I got chills reading this amazing post! SO HAPPY for you guys! You are so good Andrea for keeping this a surprise for Scott!

Chelsea said...

Congrats andrea--so happy for you guys. I don't know the specifics of what you were going through but do know that the waiting and uncertainty is so hard and so tiring. That was so fun that you surprised your husband!

Michelle said...

I am so happy for u guys! What wonderful news and such a fun way to surprise!

Camille said...

I loved this story! It's so fun to read, because I felt a lot of similar emotions when we found out the good news after such a long wait. What good memories for you guys! Again, I am so so so happy for you!

The Youngs said...

That's adorable! I really am so excited for you guys! I would always think about y'all and wonder how you were doing and when I saw your announcement on Facebook on your anniversary I was so happy for you I started tearing up. I hope you start feeling better soon! I'm sure you've tried everything, but what really helped me with Ellie was citrus, oranges and lemon water and lemonade and sugar free candies to suck on. :)

Maija-Liisa said...

I am so happy for you guys Andrea. I was crying reading this. What a wonderful blessing for you guys. That is so fun that you got to surprise Scott like that. Boston is going to be a great big brother!

Jaylynn said...

This one made me cry. So happy for you guys!