Sunday, May 26, 2013

Camping, Running, and the Beach, Part II

Here's the second half of our trip last weekend to Corpus Christi for the Beach to Bay Relay Marathon.


After dinner on Friday everyone on our team met in our room to go over the details of who was running what leg and how we would get there. There were six people on each team, and our team was made up of 3 couples. Our team name was "My Wife Made Me Do It." Yes, it was the girl's idea to run this relay, but the husbands all had a lot of fun! The Theler's (middle), and the Reeve's (right) are our good friends. We decided to bring a babysitter with us to watch the kids while we ran, so the Reeve's brought their sister-in-law's 17 year old sister, Ashley, who lives in Texas to help watch the kids while we were running. Ashley also brought her friend with her. They did a great job watching 5 kids four and under for about 4 hours in a little hotel room! 

 (This is just a random picture Scott took on his phone while he was waiting to run.)

I ran leg two, so I rode the shuttle bus with Gina who was running leg one. We had to get up bright and early to make sure we were on the bus by 5:15AM. Once we got to leg one, I ran about 2 miles down the beach to my starting position at leg two. I've always wanted to run on the beach and I finally got to! It was so gorgeous running right by the water at 6:00 in the morning. Once I got to my spot I got to run a couple more miles on the beach while I waited for the race to start and Gina to get to me. My leg was a little over 4 miles and it was very humid! I was grateful that I was leg two before it got too hot. 


Scott ran leg five which was also a little over four miles. He said he enjoyed it, and had a nice tail wind which helped. This was mine and Scott's sixth race together. Pretty good for someone who says they don't like running. What a good, supportive husband I have. 


After the race we cleaned up and checked out of our hotel. Our friends went to the beach, but we were a little beached out from the day before, especially since I was fried to a crisp on my shoulders and back, so we decided to see what else there was to do in Corpus Christi. We ate at this amazing and delicious restaurant called Hester's Cafe that was in the art museum overlooking the beach. They had really yummy soup, salad, and panini sandwiches. 


 When we were done eating we went out on the deck and saw a bunch of dolphins jumping. It was pretty cool! This picture makes me laugh. Boston is a character. We told him to go stand in front of the USS Lexington to get a picture, so he strikes this pose. His little pot belly is so cute. 


 We love hanging out with Boston. He keeps us entertained.

Here's proof that we finished the race! Marathons are much more fun when you divide it between six people! 


After lunch, we walked along the beach for awhile and decided to tour the USS Lexington, an aircraft carrier in WWII. 


It was awesome. We all loved it. 




Part of the tour included a 3D movie about air racing. 














After the USS Lexington, we had to get Boston his promised picture inside the shark's mouth. Then we made the 2.5 hour drive home! 


It was a great weekend, and a fun family vacation! 

3 comments:

Elder and Sister Fitzgerald said...

I've been excited to see your pictures from the rest of your trip. What a wonderful and fun time. You all look so brown and relaxed. Vacations are good for the soul!

Jessica @ Books: A true story said...

Boston has the best poses :)

Jaylynn said...

Looks like so much fun!