I heard a tiny little knock at 7:15 this morning. I've been trying to get Boston to the potty first thing in the morning before he has a chance to pee in his pull-up, and the first few days of potty training, I even woke him up early. He normally doesn't wake up until 7:30, or 8:00, so when I heard the little knock on his door, I hurried to his room in hopes to get him to the potty before he peed in his pull-up. When I opened the door I was happily surprised to see him standing there holding his potty bowl full of pee. (We keep his little potty in his room during the night and at nap times with a night light by it so he can go if he needs to. I know a lot of kids use the excuse that they "need" to go potty just to procrastinate going to bed or taking a nap, so I figured putting his potty in his room would take care of that problem, and it does.) I was floored that he woke up, took his pull-up off all by himself, used the potty, and then quietly knocked on the door and waited for me to come help him empty his potty.
After I showered Boston with praise and gave him a treat, he kept saying, "Make Mommy happy" in his cute 3-year-old voice. Isn't that the sweetest thing ever? It melts my heart every time he says it. When we started potty training I would tell him that, "He made mommy so happy" whenever he would have a success. I was surprised one day when he repeated that back to me after using the potty. It's moments like that that erase the frustrating moments of cleaning out poopy underwear and wiping up puddles.
Then as I was helping Boston get dressed and wash his hands, he continued to say all sorts of cute things like, "I'm 3, no more diapers, I go poop in the potty." I don't remember exactly what all he said, but I just remember being shocked, so proud, and in the best mood ever. What a way to start my day. An hour or so later he told me, "It's coming." Ha ha. That's what he always says when he needs to use the potty. I was so grateful he told me because that would have been a horrible mess to clean up. I could tell he considered going in his underwear for a second because he went to hide under the table, but when I looked at him and asked him what he was doing, that's when he said, "It's coming" and decided to go use the potty. No accidents for Boston today! He was amazing. I was so proud of him. We went to Chick-Fil-A to play on the playground, and then I bought him an ice-cream.
I think we may have accomplished our first family resolution of the year with 4 days to spare (He'll turn 3 this Friday!). It seems as though Boston is potty trained, and that "makes mommy happy." Congratulations Boston!
And just for fun, here's a cute video of Boston laughing at the Curious George movie. It's the Christmas one (this is an old movie), and there's one part where George tries to make some snowmen out of tomatoes and slips all over the tomatoes and makes a huge mess. Boston would laugh every single time at that part. It was really cute, so I recorded him one day.
3 comments:
Wahoo! Go Boston!! That gives me hope :) I have been potty training Ava for the past week or so. She is doing well, but still having accidents. I tried putting her potty in her room becasue she does get out of bed with the potty excuse, but she absolutely would not allow it to be in there. Anyway, good job Boston! And good job Andrea for putting in the long hours for potty training and being succesful!!
Awesome news about the successes with potty training. I have been wondering how Boston was doing. Yippee! He will be three and free of diapers. A huge milestone! That video was so cute too. I miss Boston! Sending hugs and kisses from grandma.
Yay Boston! Isn't it a relief to have it done? I hope he hasn't relapsed! I started Matthew too young at 25 months, and he did well but then relapsed bad! and now he's in diapers again... hopefully before 3 he's done! That is SO SO SO cute what boston said about making mommy happy! I love it! that melts my heart too!
Post a Comment