Saturday, September 17, 2011

No Work and All Play


That's what we did for Labor Day. 


Scott and I (Ok mostly I) decided that Austin should be our Monday holiday destination. I love that place. Zilker Park + Hula Hut is my kind of holiday. We all love it, especially when the weather is as nice as it was for Labor Day. We lucked out with some cooler weather that day and soaked it in as much as possible.


We started with some biking and playing at the park until we got hungry for some Hula Hut. 


Here's Bos with the Earl boys at Hula Hut looking for sharks in the water. The Earls were in our BYU ward back in Utah, and now they live in Houston. It was fun to meet up with them in Austin and hang out for a day. Boston loved having two buddies right around his age to play with too. 


Cute little dudes. 


We managed to keep them entertained for almost an hour while we waited to be seated with some digging in the sand, a little chasing around, and looking for sharks. 


So close Boston. Keep trying. We have about 45 more minutes before we're seated!


Here's the whole group just waiting for our yummy food. Three energetic toddler boys without a nap at a restaurant is quite the experience. I don't really recommend it, but the food was worth it. 


Too bad we don't live closer because Boston and Cohen would be good buddies. 


After Hula Hut we decided to ride our bikes a little more and go swimming in the river at Zilker Park. On the way there Boston zonked out on the towels he was holding for me. We skipped his nap so we could spend the entire day in Austin. I figured he'd be fine since he willingly skips his naps from time to time, but I've never seen him so zonked out! It was pretty funny. He was exhausted. 


We let him sleep in the bike seat for a little bit while we took turns changing into our swim suits, and then he stayed asleep on my shoulder while I carried him down to the river. He woke up once we got there, and he was really excited to go swimming until...


He discovered that the river was not as warm as our bath-water pool at home. This was Boston's first experience with "cold" swimming water, and he did not like it very much. I'm sure it wasn't even very cold. It's not like it's made from melted snow like the ones in Utah, but we've become pretty sensitive to anything remotely cold now. We've grown accustomed to the 100 degree temperatures and bath-water swimming pools. Now when the temperatures drop to the 80's we think it's "nice and cool out."


Boston eventually got in the water and had a blast, although I could tell he didn't enjoy it quite as much as the swimming pools. 

It turned out to be a fun and long day! We left first thing in the morning and got home after dark. No work and all play is definitely a good way to celebrate Labor Day. 

Here's a funny little video of us trying to wake Boston up to go swimming. I have never in my life seen him in this deep of a sleep. Normally a soft whisper and touch will snap him right out of his sleep and back to his energizer bunny ways, so Scott and I were pretty amazed when we saw him like this. There's also a little clip of Boston and Scott jumping in the cold water. You'll hear Boston whine that "It's Cold!" at the end. 



2 comments:

Danny and Karen said...

This looks like so much fun! You guys are always doing such fun things. Poor Boston, sooo tired! lol.

Jaylynn said...

Cute! Looks fun! Hey will ya tell Scott he needs to eat some carbs and put some meat on that rib cage?