Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Panic Attack....

Compliments of Boston.

This morning as I was reading my emails and getting my daily dose of time-waste on the computer, Boston wandered in to the bathroom like he frequently does to play with the boingy doorstop, use the side of the tub to stand up, mess up the toilet paper, and open the bottom drawers to see what's inside. I can see the bathroom from the couch where I was sitting, so I don't mind if he goes in there. Whatever keeps him entertained is fine with me. Well, almost whatever. As long as it doesn't make me pace around the house with my heart beating 90 miles an hour wondering what the heck to do.

I hear the bathroom door click shut, and at first I didn't really think much of it. Then I thought I better go open it so I can see what he's up to. So I walk over to the door to open it only to find that Boston had opened the bottom drawer which was completely blocking me from being able to open the door. My first reaction-pure panic. My heart started rapidly beating and I seriously had NO IDEA what I was going to do. I couldn't even open the door far enough to stick a ruler in there. Then of course I started imagining the worst case scenarios.... The cops were going to have to come and break down my door, he's going to be in there crying and hungry and scared for hours and I won't be able to help him etc.

After pacing around the house frantically for a few seconds I grabbed my phone to call Scott. He picked up and I worriedly said, "Scott I don't know what to do! Boston shut the bathroom door and the drawer is open so it's blocking me from opening the door!!" Well, it's a good thing I married Scott because he's not a stress case like I am, he's actually the complete opposite. He was totally calm and I could tell he even thought it was kind of funny, but he was trying to hide that because he knew I was about to have a nervous breakdown. He said that I would just have to wait awhile and keep trying to open the door and maybe Boston would eventually shut the drawer. He couldn't talk long because he had a phone interview in a few minutes, so I hurriedly hung up and tried to call my mom and dad so I could freak out to them too, and maybe they would have a brilliant idea, but neither answered their phones. Then Scott called me back and told me to try to stick the ruler underneath the door. As I was trying to do that I could see Boston's tiny little hand through the tiny little crack playing with my hairspray. There's nothing that makes you want to hold your baby more than not being able to hold him right? Well, two seconds later he miraculously closed the drawer and I opened the door!

The End. And I will keep working on my stay- calm skills because as I learned from this experience they are in dire need of practice, but I'm sure Boston will give me PLENTY of opportunities to practice in the years to come.

p.s. Halloween pictures coming soon. I just need to go buy a new cord for the computer that has all the pictures on it because Boston sucked on the other one and ruined it. I'm planning on buying it today.

3 comments:

Heidi F said...

You made my heart beat fast just hearing about that bathroom episode! Things can happen so fast with kids. Hope your heart isn't racing any more!! Give Boston a hug for us.

Kim said...

Andrea, You are so stinking cute! I would have panicked too! That's awesome he was able to finally close that drawer. Good story now, right? :)

Shalamar said...

Oh my goodness, I've felt that same panic before. I accidentally locked my kids in the car on a hot day and totally freaked out! I called Brent freaking out and he tried to calm me down. I ended up calling 911 but before anyone got there, someone got a hanger and fished my keys out for me. It was one of the worst days ever!